Welcome to Medical Assistant Salary HQ!
The most comprehensive and up-to-date Medical Assistant Salary guide online. This website is the only resource you'll need to find any information on medical assistant salary. Whether you're searching for certified medical assistant salary or registered medical assistant salary or looking for more information on Medical Assistant Jobs and salary prospects; we have just the right information for you.
Medical Assistant Salary
With the prediction of 31% increase in Medical Assistant jobs in the next 8-10 years, the employment market for Medical Assistants stays very strong. This means that the salary margin is likely to be reviewed as the demand for the employment grows. Overall, there have been a little bit of upward movement of Medical Assistant Salary in the last few years and it is projected to grow slowly in the coming years as well.
While the current national average Medical Assistant Salary is sitting on at about $30,000 per year, the upper end of the scale can go close to $50,000 per year. According to Salary.com, an experience Medical Assistant with relevant education, certification and work benefits included, can expect to be paid at that higher end of the market. However, that pay-scale applies to less than 10% of the total Medical Assistants currently employed.
Annual Salary vs Hourly Wage
According to a Salary survey conducted by AAMA, the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) accreditation authority, more than 95% of the full time Medical Assistants are on hourly wage and the other 5% is on annual salary.
Medical Assistant Salary Starting Point
The Medical Assistant Salary starts anywhere between 20,000 to 33,000 approx., where $20,000 is offered in West Virginia and $33,000 in Washington DC.
Average National Medical Assistant Salary
The national average annual salary is $30,000 and hourly wage is $14.50.
Medical Assistant Salary by Years of Experience
The average Medical Assistant Salary, both hourly and yearly salary (gross) fluctuates heavily based on number of years of experience as shown in the table below. The more experience you gain, the better your pay gets.
|Experience (no. of years)||Pay (hourly). Approx.||Salary (yearly). Approx.|
Medical Assistant Salary by Regions and Years of Experience
As mentioned earlier, the Average Medical Assistant Salary (hourly and yearly gross) also depends on your location. As you can see in the table below, the Western part of the country (Mountain and Pacific regions) offers the highest salary in the US.
|Region||Experience (no. of years)||Salary Type|
|New England||$15.50||$14.00||$15.00||$16.50||$17.00||$19.50||Hourly (approx.)|
|Middle Atlantic||$15.00||$13.50||$14.00||$16.00||$17.50||$18.00||Hourly (approx.)|
|East North Central||$14.50||$12.50||$14.00||$14.50||$16.00||$17.00||Hourly (approx.)|
|West North Central||$15.50||$13.50||$15.00||$15.50||$17.00||$18.00||Hourly (approx.)|
|South Atlantic||$14.00||$12.00||$14.00||$14.50||$15.50||$17.00||Hourly (approx.)|
|East South Central||$13.50||$11.50||$13.00||$13.50||$15.50||$16.00||Hourly (approx.)|
|West South Central||$14.50||$12.00||$14.50||-||$15.00||$16.50||Hourly (approx.)|
Check out this Medical Assistant Salary Guide to find out about your salary prospect.
Certified vs Non-certified Medical Assistant Salary
In the salary same survey conducted by AAMA, it is evident that the salary offered to a certified medical assistant is about 10% more than the non-certified ones. See the table below:
|Pay (hourly). Approx.||Salary (yearly). Approx.|
Salary usually includes benefits which can be made up to 35% of a Medical Assistants salary. Some of the benefits include:
- Healthcare benefit
- Paid leave
- Pension payment
- Study benefits
- Sick leave
- Travel allowance
- Taxes and other bonus'
Medical Assistant Salary by Company Size
Medical Assistant Salary varies for many reasons, one of which is the actual company size. According to payscale, the bigger the company, the better the pay gets. See the table below:
|Company Size||Salary (approx.)|
|1-9||$19,700 - $36,500|
|10-49||$18,500 - $42,000|
|50-199||$17,700 - $46,500|
|200-599||$19,000 - $40,800|
|600-1999||$19,150 - $41,500|
|2000-4999||$21,800 - $48,950|
Overall, the outlook for Medical Assistants in the healthcare industry stays very strong with steady growth in employment opportunity and possible salary expectations.
Please find below the complete list of Medical Assistant Salary by State. Click on a state on the Map or on the
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) is a credential awarded by American Association of Medical Assistants. It is one of the best credentials or
Different states pay Medical Assistants at a differant hourly rate. Some states in the US pay very less compared to others. According
Medical Assistants get paid differently in different states. Some states in the US pay really well but some don’t. According to U.S. Bureau